Bones, Muscles & Joints (Orthopaedics)
Meet the Orthopaedics Physicians
David S. Geller, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Practice Specialty
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Sarcoma/Bone Tumors (Orthopaedics), Surgical Specialties
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certified
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Main Location
Montefiore M-E Center For Cancer Care
1521 Jarrett Place
Bronx, NY 10461-2606
Phone: (718) 920-2060
Fax: (718) 653-1587
Get Directions | View MapMontefiore Westchester Square
2475 Saint Raymonds Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-3124
Phone: (718) 920-2060
Get Directions | View Map
- Academic Title
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Administrative Title
- Co-Director, Orthopaedic Oncology Service
Co-Director, Orthopaedic Surgery, Moses Campus
- Clinical Focus
- Dr. Geller’s clinical focus is on benign and malignant tumors involving the bones and soft-tissues involving the extremities and the pelvis, as well as the diagnosis and orthopaedic management of bone and soft-tissue tumors, including primary as well as metastatic disease. He specializes in the removal of the tumor as well as the subsequent reconstruction. He has expertise in the use of allograft bone, endoprosthetic joint reconstruction, allograft-bone prosthetic composites, customized or patient-tailored implants, and expandable implants for young children. He has a particular interest in osteosarcoma and other primary bone tumors.
- Research Focus
- Dr. Geller’s research efforts are in osteosarcoma, with an interest in novel treatment strategies for both local disease control and high-throughput screening techniques. His work includes evaluation of expression patterns in osteosarcoma, evaluation of surgical margins using in a xenograft osteosarcoma murine model and the functional role of bone morphogenetic proteins in osteosarcoma surgery. He is has an interest in limb-sparing surgical techniques, augmentation of allograft bone healing, use of intra-operative navigation techniques for tumor surgery, and thromboembolic prophylaxis in the pediatric sarcoma population.
- Geller DS, Chan JJ, Armstrong S, Villanueva-Siles E, Thornhill B. Joint-Preserving Wide Excision of Parosteal Osteosarcoma of the Proximal Humerus Using Intraoperative Navigation: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2013 [Published Ahead of Print].
- Roth M, Linkowski M, Tarim J, Piperdi S, Sowers R, Geller DS, Gill J, Gorlick R. Ganglioside GD2 as a Therapeutic Target for Antibody-mediated Therapy in Patients with Osteosarcoma. Cancer. 2013 Oct; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24166473.
- Capogna BM, Lovy A, Blum Y, Kim SJ, Flesen UR, Geller DS. Infection Rate Following Total Joint Arthroplasty in the HIV Population. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2013 Sep; 28(8):1254-8. PMID: 23523495.
- Bekarev M, Elsinger EC, Villanueva-Siles E, Borzykowski RM, Geller DS. Synovial Sarcoma of the Foot. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2013 Jul-Aug; 52(4):513-7. PMID: 23632071.
- Lall A, Hohn E, Kim M, Gorlick R, Abraham J, Geller DS. Comparison of Surface Area across the Allograft-Host Junction Site Using Conventional and Navigated Osteotomy Technique. Sarcoma. 2012; 2012:197540. PMID: 23319879.
- Piperdi S, Austin-Page L, Geller DS, Ahluwalia M, Gorlick S, Gill J, Sellers R, Zhang W, Li N, Ching Sohak, Gorlick R. Beta-Catenin Does Not Confer Tumorigenicity when Introduced into Partially Transformed Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Sarcoma. 2012 Sep;2012. PMID: 23125530.
- Crocco L, Gorlick R, Geller DS. Current Practice Management Regarding Thromboembolic Prophylaxis Within the Pediatric Sarcoma Patient Population. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2012 Jan;35(1):28-31. PMID: 22995922.
- Hall GL, Villanueva-Siles E, Borzykowski RM, Gruson KI, Dorfman HD, Geller DS. Aspergillus osteomyelitis of the proximal humerus: a case report. Skeletal Radiology. 2012 Aug; 41(8):1021-5. PMID: 22467007.
- Sambaziotis C, Plymale M, Lovy A, O'Halloran K, McCulloch K, Geller DS. Pseudoaneurysm of the Distal Thigh after Manipulation of a Total Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2012 Aug; 27(7); 1414. PMID: 22115766.
- Shakked RJ, Geller DS, Gorlick R, Dorfman HD. Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma: Clinicopathologic study of 20 cases. The Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 2012 Jan; 136(1):61-75. PMID: 22208489.
- Hohn E, Garfein ES, Mehta KJ, Geller DS. Quadriceps Tendon Allograft Augmentation after Wide Excision of a Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2012 Jan/Feb; 23(1):68-71.
- Singh CK, Geller DS. The Telescopic Mating Technique for Bulk Allograft Reconstruction. Orthopaedics. 2012 Feb; 35(2):118-124. PMID: 22300990.
- Sambaziotis C, Lovy A, Moadel RM, Chamarthy M, Glaser J, Jaini S, Villanueva-Siles E, Geller DS. Florine-18 Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography for Osteochondromas Utilizing a Triple-Time Point Protocol. Open Journal of Medical Imaging. 2011 Dec; 1(2):15-20.
- Hassan SE, Bekarev M, Kim MY, Lin J, Piperdi S, Gorlick R, Geller DS. Cell Surface Receptor Expression Patterns in Osteosarcoma. Cancer. 2011 Feb 1; 118(3):740-9.
- Plymale M, Lovy A, Villanueva-Siles E, Geller DS. Isolated intra-articular pseudorheumatoid nodule of the knee. Skeletal Radiology. 2011 Apr; 40(4):463-6.
- Green MC, Dorfman HD, Villanueva-Siles E, Gorlick RG, Thornhill BA, Weber RV, Geller DS. Aggressively Recurrent Infantile Myofibroma of the Axilla and Shoulder Girdle. A Case Report. Skeletal Radiology.2010 Mar; 40(3):357-61.
- Geller DS, Pope JB, Thornhill BA, Dorfman, HD. Cryptococcal pyarthrosis and sarcoidosis. Skeletal Radiol. 2009 Jul; 38(7):721-7.
- Sah A, Geller DS, Mankin HJ, Delaney T, Rosenberg A, Wright C, Hornicek FJ. Malignant Transformation of Synovial Chondromatosis of the Shoulder to Chondrosarcoma - A Case Report," Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2007 Jun; 89(6):1321-8.
- Geller DS, Hornicek FJ, Mankin HJ, Raskin KA. "Soft Tissue Sarcoma Resection Volume Associated with Wound-Healing Complications," Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2007; 457:182-5.
- Ames JA, Abraham JA, Geller DS, Goldsmith J, Gebhardt MC. Proximal Tibial Lesion in a Young Adult: Early Diagnosis Allowing Unique Reconstruction. The Orthopaedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. 2006 Aug: 143-7.
- Gardner MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller DS, Pode M, Mintz D, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. "Prediction of Soft-Tissue Injuries in Schatzker II Tibial Plateau Fractures based on Measurements of Plain Radiographs," Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 2006; 60(2):319-324.
- Steinberg EL, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Shasha N, Dekel S, Lorich DG. "Intramedullary Fixation of Tibial Shaft Fractures Using an Expandable Nail," Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2006 May; 20(5):303-9.
- Gardner, MJ, Yacoubian S, Geller DS, Suk M, Mintz D, Potter H, Helfet DL, Lorich DG. "The Incidence of Soft Tissue Injury in Operative Tibial Plateau Fractures," Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2005; 19:79-84.
- Lorich DG, Yacoubian SV, Geller DS. "Intramedullary Fixation of Humeral Shaft Fractures Using an Inflatable Nail," Orthopaedics. 2003 Oct; 26(10):1011-4.
- Lorich DG, Geller DS, Yacoubian SV, Leo AJ, Helfet DL. "An Innovative Mode of Intramedullary Fixation," International Review of Modern Surgery, March 2002.
- Westrich GH, Geller DS, O'Malley MJ, Deland JT, Helfet DL. "Anterior Iliac Crest Bone Graft Harvesting Using the Cortico-Cancellous Reamer System," Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2001 Sep-Oct; 15(7):500-6.
Books, Chapters, and Review Articles
- Geller DS. "Malignant Soft-Tissue Lesions" in The Pediatric Upper Extremity. Joshua M. Abzug, Scott H. Kozin and Dan A. Zlotolow Eds. Springer. In Press.
- Geller DS, Gill J Gorlick R. "Osteosarcoma" in Recent Trends in Orthopedic Oncology. A. Abraham Ed. Jaypee Publishers. In Press.
- Gill J, Geller DS, Gorlick R. "HER-2 Involvement in Osteosarcoma" in Current Advances in Osteosarcoma. E. Kleinerman Ed. Springer. In Press.
- Morris J, Dutcher J, Geller DS. Revisiting the Orthopaedic Management of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Rationale for a More Aggressive Approach. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2013 Sept/Oct; 24(5):547-551.
- Geller DS, Gill J, Thornhill BA, Spierer M, Gorlick R. Osteosarcoma: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Sarcoma Oncology: A Multidisciplinary Approach. PMPH-USA.
- Gill J, Geller DS, Gorlick R. "Personalized Medicine and Targeted Therapy for Osteosarcoma" in Principles of Molecular Diagnostics and Personalized Cancer Medicine. D. Tan and H.T. Lynch, Eds. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2013, pp.900 – 908.
- Gill J, Ahluwalia M, Geller DS, Gorlick R. New Targets and Approaches in Osteosarcoma. Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2013 Jan;137(1):89-99. PMID: 22983152.
- Geller DS, Gorlick R. Osteosarcoma: A review of diagnosis, management, and treatment strategies. Clinical Advances in Hematology and Oncology. 2010 Oct; 8(9):705-18.
- Geller DS, Gorlick R. HER-2 targeted treatment of osteosarcoma: the challenges of developing targeted therapy and prognostic factors for rare malignancies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010 Jan; 11(1):51-61.
- Chou AJ, Geller DS, Gorlick R. Therapy for Osteosarcoma: Where Do We Go From Here? Paediatric Drugs. 2008 10(5):315-27.
- Lorich DG, Geller DS, Nielson JH, "Osteoporotic Pertrochanteric Hip Fractures: Management and Current Concepts," Instructional Course Lecture. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2004; 53:441-54.
David S. Geller, MD— a member of the Montefiore / Einstein Cancer Center—is a fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Oncologist with extensive expertise in managing both adult and pediatric patients, who has recognized as a Top Doctor in the New York metro region.
A Northwestern University graduate, Dr. Geller went on to earn his medical degree from Tel Aviv University's Sackler School of Medicine. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Montefiore Medical Center. Thereafter, he completed the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Oncology Fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital, Children's Hospital Boston, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. In 2006, Dr. Geller joined the Montefiore Orthopaedic faculty; since his return he has been actively involved in clinical patient care, academic research, as well as resident and medical education.
Dr. Geller is:
- Chair of a weekly sarcoma tumor conference designed to review and discuss patient-care issues in a multi-disciplinary manner.
- Co-director of the Orthopaedic Oncology Service and the Orthopaedic Department Moses Division.
- Quality improvement officer on the Montefiore Cancer Committee.
- Director for the orthopaedic morbidity and mortality conference.
- Service chief for the orthopaedic oncology resident rotation.
- An active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Muskuloskeletal Tumor Society, Connective Tissue Oncology Society, Children's Oncology Group, and the American Association for Cancer Research.