Services and Treatments
Meet the Pediatric Liver Transplant Physicians
Henry M. Ushay, MD, PhD
- Practice Specialty
- Pediatrics - Critical Care Medicine
- Medical Education
- University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Montefiore Medical Center, New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center
- Board Certified
- Pediatrics, Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Director, Pediatric Critical Care Unit, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
- Clinical Focus
- Pediatric critical care medicine with a special emphasis on respiratory failure; shock resuscitation; cardiac intensive care; intensive care of pediatric oncology patients; extracorporeal support for children with respiratory and cardiovascular failure
- Research Focus
- Leadership and direction of the 16-bed Pediatric Critical Care Unit of The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore; improving medication safety; respiratory physiology; advances in the management of respiratory failure in children; shock; medical ethics
Dr. Ushay is Professor of Clinical Pediatrics in the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics as well as a Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine.
After obtaining a PhD in Chemistry from Columbia University, Dr. Ushay received his MD from UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School and completed a Pediatrics residency in the Montefiore-Jacobi-Einstein program. After serving as Chief Resident and a Fellow in Pediatric Pulmonology at Montefiore, he completed a Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center in 1993. He was a faculty member at NewYork-Presbyterian and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospitals from 1993 to 2005, and he served as Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program Director and Medical Director of the Pediatric Observation Unit at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
In 2005 Dr. Ushay became Director of the Pediatric Critical Care Unit in The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore. Dr. Ushay is involved in increasing pediatric ICU surge capacity through the New York City Pediatric Disaster Coalition, serving on its Central Leadership Council and teaching the Pediatric Fundamental Critical Care Support Course. Through the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Dr. Ushay works on employing medical countermeasures safely for children in the event of chemical, biological or radiological disaster. Sponsored by Surgeons of Hope and Children’s HeartLink, Dr. Ushay has worked as a cardiac intensivist in Cambodia, Africa, China and Nicaragua.