Services and Treatments
Meet the Medical Oncology Physicians
Roman Perez-Soler, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Medical Oncology (Cancer)
- Medical Education
- Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona
- Universidad de Barcelona
- MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Board Certified
- Medical Oncology, Internal Medicine
- Main Location
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY 10467-2401
Phone: (718) 920-4001
Fax: (718) 798-7474
Get Directions | View Map
- Academic Title
- Guttman Professor of Medicine
Professor of Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology
- Administrative Title
- Chairman, Department of Oncology
Chief, Division of Medical Oncology
Deputy Director, Albert Einstein Cancer Center
- Clinical Focus
- Dr. Perez-Soler’s practice is focused on treatment of lung cancer and other malignancies.
- Research Focus
- Dr. Perez-Soler’s research interests and accomplishments are in the area of drug delivery of antitumor agents and new therapies for lung cancer and other malignancies, encompassing drug discovery, preclinical studies and early clinical studies.
- French, Spanish
Roman Perez-Soler, MD, is an internationally recognized thoracic oncologist with a distinguished career dedicated to the development of innovative therapies for lung cancer. Dr. Perez-Soler received his medical degree from the Universidad Autonoma of Barcelona, Spain, and completed post-graduate medical oncology training at Houston, Texas' M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, where he went on to become tenured Professor of Medicine and Deputy Chairman, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology.
Dr. Perez-Soler joined NYU's Kaplan Cancer Center in 1998 as tenured Professor of Medicine and Associate Director for Clinical Research. In 2001, he was appointed Guttman Professor of Medicine and Chairman, Department of Oncology at Montefiore; Chief, Division of Medical Oncology and Associate Director for Clinical Research, Albert Einstein Cancer Center (AECC). He became Deputy Director of the AECC in 2012.
Over the last three decades, Dr. Perez-Soler has:
- Pioneered the development of now widely accepted modalities for treatment of a variety of cancers, including liposomes for the delivery and tumor-targeting of anticancer agents.
- Conducted some of the first clinical studies with anti-EGFR agents and with topoisomerase I inhibitors.
- Championed the use of inhaled interventions as an early strategy for patients at risk of lung cancer.
A Fulbright Scholar and recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award from M.D. Anderson, Dr. Perez-Soler's research has been continuously funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) since 1989. He is currently RO1 funded for the development of inhaled demethylating therapies for lung cancer and is principal investigator of the NCI-funded K12 Paul Calabresi Award for Clinical Oncology at Einstein, a program that has trained 13 young clinical investigators.
Dr. Perez-Soler is an inventor in 17 patents, published over 200 papers and book chapters, served as a consultant to a large number of pharmaceutical companies and founded two biotechnology companies.