Services and Treatments
Meet the Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery Team
Robert E. Michler, MD
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Practice Specialty
- Cardiothoracic Surgery (Heart)
- Medical Education
- Dartmouth Medical School
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Children's Hospital of Boston
- Main Location
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY 10467-2401
Phone: (718) 920-2100
Fax: (718) 231-7113
Get Directions | View MapMontefiore Tarrytown Practice at South Broadway
200 South Broadway
Tarrytown, NY 10591-4500
Phone: (914) 631-2895
Fax: (914) 631-0094
Get Directions | View MapMontefiore Wakefield Campus
600 East 233rd Street
Bronx, NY 10466-2604
Phone: (718) 920-7000
Get Directions | View Map
- Academic Title
- Professor, Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Professor, Department of Surgery
- Administrative Title
Chairman, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
Co-Director, Montefiore Einstein Center for Heart and Vascular Care
- Clinical Focus
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure Surgery, Heart Transplantation, Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, Surgical Ventricular Reconstruction, Valve Repair Surgery
- Research Focus
- Dr. Michler and his cardiothoracic surgery team are advancing the use of minimally invasive cardiothoracic surgery procedures including coronary bypass, aortic and mitral valve repair procedures, autologous myoblast and stem cell injection therapy.
Robert E. Michler, MD, is Professor and Chairman of the Departments of Surgery and Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, and Director of the Heart Center at the Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.
Formerly, he held the John G. and Jeanne Bonnet McCoy Endowed Chair, Professor of Surgery, and Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Transplantation at The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio. He also served as the Associate Director of the Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute at The Ohio State University. Dr. Michler was integral to the planning, design, and philanthropic development for the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital. He served as its first Executive Director.
Before joining The Ohio State University faculty in November 1997, Dr. Michler was on the faculty of the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York and served as Director of the Cardiac Transplant Program, one of the largest cardiac transplant programs in the nation. Dr. Michler was a tenured Associate Professor of Surgery at Columbia University.
Dr. Michler received his undergraduate education magna cum laude from Harvard University. He received his medical education at Dartmouth Medical School where he was a Leopold Schepp Scholar. Dr. Michler completed his residency in General Surgery, a fellowship in Cardiothoracic Transplantation and a residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York.
Dr. Michler discusses the recent developments in stem cell research
that may improve heart treatments.