Judy L. Aschner, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine (Pediatric)
- Medical Education
- University of Rochester Schl of Med and Dentistry
- University of Rochester
- University of Rochester
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Michael I. Cohen Professor and University Chair of Pediatrics
- Administrative Title
- Chair, Department of Pediatrics; Physician-In-Chief, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
Dr. Judy Aschner, a nationally recognized leader in neonatology and pediatrics, is Physician-in-Chief at The Children's Hospital of Montefiore (CHAM) and the Michael I. Cohen Professor and University Chair of Pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Her nearly decade-long tenure as Chief of Neonatology at Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine is credited with fostering significant expansion of both the clinical and research programs in neonatology, as well as the growth of the Neonatal Intensive care Unit (NICU) at Vanderbilt.
A graduate of Union College in Schenectady, New York, Dr. Aschner completed medical training (including pediatric residency and neonatology fellowship) at the University of Rochester School of Medicine in Rochester, New York. Dr. Aschner's laboratory research focus is on regulation of the neonatal pulmonary circulation and the factors that contribute to pulmonary hypertension in infants with lung and heart disease. Her clinical research interests include optimizing management to prevent chronic lung disease, treatment of infants with pulmonary hypertension and nutritional management of premature infants.
Dr. Aschner has held or currently holds a number of leadership roles in state and national organizations, including:
- Five-year term as Secretary-Treasurer of the American Pediatric Society.
- Founder of the Tennessee Initiative for Perinatal Quality Care.
- Former Chair of the Organization of Neonatology Training Program Directors.
- Former Member of the American Board of Pediatrics Sub-board of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine.
- Co-founder/mentor of the Trainee and Early Career Neonatologist group of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Perinatal Pediatrics.
- Vice-Chairperson and a member of the Board of Directors of IPOKRaTES Foundation, an organization dedicated to continuing medical education in the developing world.
Dr. Aschner's clinical experience and family-centered approach to care has positively affected the health and well-being of countless patients in her communities and beyond. She has partnered with institutions across the United States and around the world to improve perinatal care, mentored the next generation of neonatologists and worked tirelessly to improve health outcomes for infants and children.
As Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at Montefiore/Montefiore, Dr. Aschner has overall responsibility for its patient care, research, advocacy and educational missions.