Ileana L. Pina, MD, MPH
- Practice Specialty
- Cardiology (Heart)
- Medical Education
- University of Miami Medical School
- University of South Florida
- University of Miami Hosp. & Clinics
- Board Certified
- Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Professor, Department of Medicine
Professor, Department of Epidemiology & Population Health
- Administrative Title
- Associate Chief, Academic Affairs
- Clinical Focus
- Research interests relate to heart failure in various aspects. Dr. Piña completed our NHLBI HF ACTION trial and is in the process of examining recovery after exercise which could be translated to an additional parameter that may better predict prognosis of outcomes. In addition, there was a R21 to NHLBI to examine Vitamin D levels as another predictor from the HF ACTION database.
- Research Focus
- Dr. Pina has a particular research and clinical interest in rehabilitation of heart disease in patients with heart failure.
Ileana Piña, MD, MPH, is a nationally renowned cardiologist known for her work in heart failure and development of multidisciplinary clinical interventions to improve patient rehabilitation outcomes.
Dr. Piña graduated Magna Cum Laude of Chemistry from the University of Miami. Dr. Piña earned her medical degree and completed a cardiology fellowship at the University of Miami School of Medicine and her master's in public health degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
She did her internal medicine residency at the University of South Florida Tampa, where she was Chief Resident, and her surgery internship at the University of Miami Hospitals and Clinics. She is board certified in cardiovascular, internal medicine and clinical pharmacology and is fluent in Spanish.
Dr. Piña was appointed Director of Heart Failure and Transplantation at University Hospitals of Cleveland, a position she held from 1999 to 2006. She further completed a Quality Scholar Fellowship at the Cleveland Louis Stokes Veterans' Administration Medical Center.
In July 2011, she joined the Montefiore Einstein Center for Heart and Vascular Care as Associate Chief for Academic Affairs and Staff Physician.
Dr. Piña serves as advisor/consultant to the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health and their section of Epidemiology. She is also consultant to Novartis Pharmaceuticals and GE HealthCare. She is the author/co-author of over 100 publications in print, and a world-renowned speaker in the World Congress of Cardiology, the European Heart Failure Association and the Heart Failure Management Symposium on this subject. Dr. Piña is also a member of GWTG Scientific Committee and Heart Failure workgroup, a national Spokesperson for Go Red for Women and was on the writing committee of the new American Heart Association Guidelines for the Prevention of Heart Disease.