Norman T. Ilowite, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Pediatrics - Rheumatology
- Medical Education
- SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
- Childrens Hospital National Medical Center
- University of Washington Med Center
- Board Certified
- Pediatric Rheumatology, Pediatrics, Diagnostic Lab. Immunology
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Professor of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Chief, Division of Rheumatology, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
- Clinical Focus
- Juvenile arthritis; pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus; juvenile dermatomyositis; scleroderma in children; vasculitis in children; fibromyalgia; pain syndromes in children
- Research Focus
- Novel therapies for childhood arthritis; systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis; atherosclerosis prevention in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus; nonpharmacologic treatment of pain in children
Dr. Ilowite is Chief, Division of Rheumatology, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, and Professor of Pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He is currently Chair of the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA), a North American pediatric rheumatology clinical research network that performs investigator-initiated studies in all the childhood rheumatic diseases.
Dr. Ilowite’s research interests include the development of novel therapies for children with chronic arthritis, atherosclerosis prevention in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus, and nonpharmacologic management of pain in childhood rheumatic disorders. He is principal investigator on a number of National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin (NIH/NIAMS)-sponsored studies, including a multicenter clinical trial of IL-1 inhibition in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis, development of comparative effectiveness research in pediatric rheumatic diseases, and of CARRA infrastructure and databases to improve the quality and quantity of evidence to drive the care of pediatric rheumatology patients.
An active member of the American Pediatric Society, a recipient of the Lewis M. Fraad Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching and past chairman of the Sub-Board of Rheumatology, American Board of Pediatrics, Dr. Ilowite is an internationally recognized leader in the field of pediatric rheumatology both in clinical research and education, as well as in excellence in clinical care.